Have you ever wondered why we have to have a roofing material barrier over the plywood that makes up a roof? Yes, it gives a finished look to a home as does it counterpart for the sides of the house, siding. The main reason we have roofing systems consisting of more than plywood is to create a barrier against the natural elements. Without the barrier present the elements would wreak havoc on the homes structure. Water is the most intrusive natural element and the one most roofing materials are made to withstand.
To accomplish protection against the natural elements as well as the human elements the roofing material must protect the under laymant. In order for this to happen the observable roofing material must withstand stresses presented by nature and man. Industry standards have been put into place and tested to ensure the quality and life expectancy of a variety of roofing materials including; asphalt shingles, cedar shingles, metal roofing, concrete tiles, clay tiles and a variety of other materials now present in roofing.
Weather in the Michigan varies a great deal. Roofing needs to withstand hail, wind, extreme temperatures varying from intense heat to extreme cold, snow, ice and the various freeze/melt scenarios of present in Michigan. As with everything involving your home it is important to research the materials you are considering for your roofing need and determine for your environment what is going to be the most cost effective material to use to provide a weather proof barrier for your homes roof.
Below is a list of roofing materials commonly used in Michigan to choose from:
· Asphalt Shingle Roofing
- Inexpensive and straight forwarded installation
- Has a high fire resistance rating
- Is available in different class levels for a variety of weather situations
- Wind warranties that withstand one hundred thirty mile an hour winds
- Easy to repair if damage occurs
- Long lasting and needs to be replaced less frequently than other materials
- Available in high fire resistant ratings and class ratings to withstand fire and weather
- Metal material is lightweight and durable
- Easy to repair if damage happens to occur
Anyone that has owned a home knows that you pour your life savings into it. Between the interior, exterior and the worldly possessions found inside the amount of time, energy and money put in is irreplaceable. This is why choosing the right roofing material for your home is so important.
Not only is choosing the right material important but also the right installation company. Finding a professional in your area should come fairly easy; selecting one however might be a tad bit more difficult. Follow the steps below and you should be able to find a reliable, trustworthy roofingcontractor.
· Find a contractor that has a permanent place of business. This should include a phone number, tax id and is licensed.
· Ask to see a copy of the insurance contract the company has. It is important in finding a reputable roofing contractor that they are responsible and liable for accidents with his employees that happen while working on your roof.
· It is important to also find a roofing contractor that maintains financially stability. You as a consumer have the right to ask for information relating to this.
· Work with a contractor that has references that can vouch for the work the company provides and the manner in which his employees work.
· Always get a written contract for the services that are to be performed in detail. This should include the materials, type and quantity to be used in your install.
· A contractor should be able to also explain how much he works on your project verse has employees to assist. You should know if he is a supervisor only or if he has a crew with a supervisor for each individual roofing project.
· Carefully read the warranties that are provided on the materials the professional roofing contractor is recommending be used on your roofing project.
· Look especially careful into bids that are way below industry norms. If is sounds too good to be true it probably is.